While it is true that aging is inevitable, the symptoms aren’t. You can look as young as you want to, as long as you know how to take good care of yourself.
Here are 25 natural ways to bust off those wrinkles:
1. Don’t smoke. You are wasting money on beauty products if you smoke. Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals that kill healthy skin cells. As a result, you get dry, saggy and wrinkle-friendly face. Smoking also produces enzymes that destroy collagen and elastin – two of the most important components of a healthy, youthful skin.
2. Get enough beauty rest. Make sure you have enough of the eight-hour night time sleep. Or else, you are making your face more prone to wrinkles. According to Dr Nicholas Perricone, a Yale dermatologist, sleeping stimulates the production of HGH (human growth hormone) that makes the skin more elastic, thick and less likely to develop wrinkles.
3. Protect your skin from too much sunlight. While vitamin D is essential in keeping a healthy skin, overexposure to sun (particularly in the UV rays) can do more harm than good. In a study involving identical twins, Dr Darrick Antell from New York found that siblings who had limited sun time had fewer wrinkles and looked younger than those who were overexposed to sunlight.
4. Massage your face. Doing this increases the blood flow in your skin, allowing the nutrients to feed unhealthy cells. During your day off, treat yourself with a refreshing, revitalising facial massage.
5. Avoid squinting. Repetitive facial movements such as squinting overwork the muscles, leading to a groove beneath the skin’s surface. As time passes by, the groove becomes a wrinkle.
6. Eat fish. Fish such as salmon are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids that help keep the skin well-nourished. Regular intake of this essential nutrient makes your skin plump, youthful and glowing.
7. Keep it moisturised. Moisture is essential in keeping wrinkles at bay. Make sure you have this in your beauty kit. Good moisturising products are those that contain vitamins and minerals, as well as collagen.
8. Avoid over-washing your face. Dermatologists from the University of Maryland Medical Centre discourage washing the face very often. According to them, tap water washes away the moisture and natural oil in the face needed to fight off wrinkle formation. Make sure your soap contains moisturiser. Otherwise, you may need to use cleanser.
9. Apply olive oil before bedtime. Instead of investing on expensive chemical-containing topical creams, use olive oil to restore the moisture and suppleness of your skin. Before going to bed, gently massage your face with a small amount of olive oil and rinse it with soft towel. Wake up with a soft, healthier skin!
10. Apply vitamin-E coming from egg white. In a bowl, whip up several egg whites. Apply the mixture on your face and leave it for 15 minutes and rinse it off. Egg whites are a great source of vitamin E and B that contribute to youthful, healthy skin!
11. Eat more fruits and vegetables. What you eat affects how your skin looks. Loading your body with nutritious foods such as fruits and vegetables will help it flush out toxins that make your skin unhealthy and prone to wrinkles.
12. Replace coffee with hot chocolate. Make your cold morning warm, delicious and healthy by having a cup of hot chocolate. In a study published in Journal of Nutrition in 2006, it was found that cocoa contains epicatchin and catechins – dietary flavanols that boost blood flow in the skin cells, guard the skin from sun damage, and keep it hydrated.
13. Eat soy in moderation. This plant-based protein has been found to improve the firmness and structure of the skin.
14. Apply lemon juice on your face. This cheap and safe whitening product doesn’t only lessen your wrinkles but also make your skin look lighter. Lemon contains acid that lightens up your skin tone and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
15. Take vitamin C. This essential nutrient boosts your body’s defence against disease-causing bacteria and other toxins. It is also known to aid in the production of collagen.
16. De-stress. Stress is a major factor that affects our skin health. So make sure you give yourself time to relax. There are therapeutic programs like meditation and yoga that relaxes the body and make you less vulnerable to stress.
17. Feed your skin cells with vitamins and minerals. The best vitamins that keep the skin well-nourished are vitamins A, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E. These can be found in fruits, vegetables, seafood, and some lean meats.
18. Sleep on your back. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, there are certain sleeping positions that could lead to fine lines and wrinkles. For instance, sleeping on the side may lead to wrinkle formation on your cheeks and chin, while sleeping on a face-down position gives you a furrowed brow. If you want to keep away from wrinkles, sleep on your back, as there is nothing that might be pushed against your face.
19. Wear sunscreen. If you are always exposed to the sun, you are more likely to get wrinkles. To protect your skin from getting damaged, do wear sunscreen. It also prevents serious skin problems like skin cancer.
20. Get adequate amount of trace minerals. There are two essential trace minerals that are responsible for a beautiful, wrinkle-free skin. These are selenium and copper. Selenium as an antioxidant neutralizes the free radicals that enter the body before they can destroy the skin cells. Copper on the other hand, is essential in the formation of elastin and collagen.
21. Drink to your health. There are beverages that are loaded with antioxidants. These include coffee, cocoa and tea. Green tea contains catechins and epicatechin that protect the collagen and elastin from being damaged.
22. Be happy. Worries, sadness and anxiety make you frown or scowl, which like squinting, can cause groove and later on, wrinkles. Worrying about your wrinkles can actually make them look worse so knock off those bad thoughts and stay positive!
23. Use Castor oil. This natural oil is effective in warding off wrinkles. Apply it on your face, especially under the eye. For faster results, do it every day.
24. Mashed grapes as facial cream. Grapes are high in antioxidants that nourish your skin cells. Crush seedless grapes directly on your skin and leave it there for at least 30 minutes. In a few weeks, you will see the big difference.
25. Keep yourself hydrated. Drinking lots of water will keep your skin well-moisturised. Bored of water? Then have a glass of refreshing lemonade or orange juice. Fruits also contain water (plus nutrients) that will keep you hydrated.